Tuesday, May 30, 2017

I Hate Shouting

Noise bothers me. What kind of situations or experiences bother you? What does that say about you and what you care about? How can you express that concern and meet that need in a positive way?
Do you ever feel like the world is too noisy? If so, too noisy for what? What do you want to listen to and hear that you can’t with all the noisiness of the world?


“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”
Friedrich Nietzsche

I hate shouting.
Loud voices. Raucous parties.
Cheerleaders. Leaf blowers.
A slap on the back.
A poke on the arm.
These little violences
Obscure the subtle voice within.

Why do I hate shouting?
It’s hard to hear God
(Goddess/Great Spirit/Inner Wisdom/ Divine Spark)
Call her what you will. Or won’t. Or don’t call her. Or don’t listen.
And it’s hard to hear hummingbirds, too;
Or burbling fountains;
Or the wind whispering in the grasses.

Usually, God doesn’t shout
Unless you/we don’t heed the messages
She’s been whispering to us.

I don’t want to wait
Until cancer comes pounding on my door.
Until a fire rages, burning my house down.

Early morning,
Awaken from sleep,
I smell a bit of smoke,
Take action,
And prevent disaster.

My fingers tingle.
I better pay attention.
A gentle sadness beckons.
I take the time to listen.
Who is crying?
Who needs comforting?
Love is gentle,
Unless a whack on the head
Is needed to wake us up.
Then love can be tough.

Wake up, now, please.
Listen, before it’s too late.
She’s already shouting at us.


Bibi Caspari © 6/1/14


No comments:

Post a Comment